Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Testing near Pontiac MI
If a child in your care may have been exposed to alcohol before birth, there are some indicators we can test for to determine if he or she has a fetal alcohol spectrum disorder (FASD) or fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS).
The signs of fetal alcohol syndrome mimic symptoms from other conditions, such as ADHD or learning disabilities. This is why it is important to consider the physical factors in combination with social and behavioral struggles. These indicators include the following:
- Deformities of the Fingers, Joints, and Limbs
- Small Eyes, Thin Upper Lip, an Upturned Nose, and Smooth Skin Between the Nose and Upper Lip
- Small Head Size and Delayed Physical Development
- Trouble Processing Information or Solving Problems
- Poor Vision or Hearing Loss
- Quick Mood Changes with Trouble Focusing
- Heart Defects and Kidney Problems
- Hyperactivity, Poor Judgment Skills, and Low Impulse Control
- Difficulty with Memory and Coordination
- Struggles in School and Social Settings
If you’d like an appointment for fetal alcohol syndrome testing near Pontiac MI, reach out to (248) 644-9466.
What Causes Fetal Alcohol Syndrome in Children?
Fetal alcohol syndrome comes from exposure to alcohol in the womb. If a pregnant person drinks alcohol, it may pass to the baby through the umbilical cord. There is no specific threshold for how much alcohol causes FAS or the timeframe for exposure. If you are pregnant or attempting to become pregnant, it is best to avoid alcohol in all forms to protect your child from FAS.
Oakland Neuropsychology Center offers fetal alcohol syndrome testing near Pontiac MI. Our office is located at:
Oakland Neuropsychology Center
4190 Telegraph Rd, Suite 2700
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302
Contact us at (248) 644-9466 to schedule an appointment for FAS testing or learn more about getting an FASD diagnosis.
Ongoing Testing Solutions That Allow You to Pursue Proactive Treatment
Oakland Neuropsychology Center has a team of providers who specialize in diagnosing complex cases. FAS may overlap with other conditions, and having a layered diagnosis can lead to the most personalized treatment plan possible. Our services include the following:
- Executive Dysfunction Evaluations and ADHD Coaching
- Professional IQ Testing
- Independent Educational Evaluations (IEE)
- Autism Testing
- Anxiety Testing
- Nonverbal Learning Disorder Testing (NVLD)
- ADD/ADHD Testing
- Learning Disabilities Testing, Such as Dyslexia Testing and Dyscalculia Testing
- High-Stakes Exam Accommodations
- Guardianship Evaluations
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Testing near Pontiac MI
- Depression Testing
- Neurological Disorder Evaluations
- Giftedness/Twice Exceptional Testing
- And Other Neuropsychological Testing Services